April 2, 2013

Pee Pee Party

Disclaimer: Before having kids I never thought I would be writing about and further more celebrating pee pee, but let me tell you it is a BIG Deal.  Feel free to skip over this posting if this subject matter is less than interesting for you, but I have learned that pee pee in the potty is a huge milestone.

I know the title may be a bit surprising, but let me elaborate.  Both Nick and I have tried without much luck to encourage Brylie to use the big girl potty. I have bought numerous potty books, princess potty seat, stepping stools,  singing toilet and Elmo DVD.  I had thought that this would really spark an interest months ago, but to my surprise she wanted nothing to do with any of it.  She enjoyed reading the books, but when it came to sitting on the potty or trying her response was "Maybe in a couple of months" or "No thank you" We told her that in order for her to attend school she had to be able to go to the bathroom. I have been told by many not to push potty training and to let kids wait until they were ready.  Well this advice was well taken and so accurate with our Brylie.  On Tuesday after her nap I asked Brylie if she could please put on a pull up while I went to go check on her sister.  Brylie came running into see me jumping up and down with excitement saying that she went peep pee on the potty.  I was thrilled and hesitant since I didn't actually witness it first hand. She had decided that she would prefer big girl underwear instead of pull-ups.  So this was the beginning of her self led potty training.  Later on while playing with play-doh she told me she needed to go potty.  This is where things get tricky with 2 kids.  I was nursing Gracie, but didn't want to miss the opportunity to continue working on the potty training.  I picked Brylie up in one arm while holding and nursing Gracie in the other and helped her onto the toilet.  Unfortunately I wasn't much help because the angle at which I placed her tiny little buns on the toilet caused her to fall in.  I was worried that this would hinder the whole process but she just looked at me and laughed "Mommy you dropped me in the toilet" while she went pee pee in the potty.  The whole experience made me laugh and realize that life with two is definitely a balancing act.  In hindsight I probably could have set Gracie down for a few minutes, but time was of the essence.  That day Brylie went 4 times on the potty.  I sent text messages to my Dad, Barbara, Mom, and Ally keeping them informed of her progress.  I had mentioned that if she could go again we would be making a trip to get frozen yogurt that evening.  Dad/Barbara and John/Ally wanted to join in on the Potty Party and decided to go get ice cream as well to celebrate Brylie's success.  It was so fun to have a bi coastal Pee Pee party over our phones.  Needless to say Pee Pee in the Potty is absolutely something to celebrate and hence the reason for a Pee Pee Party.

Brylie using the big girl potty.
Enjoying some celebratory frozen yogurt.
Granbrad and GranB made a trip for ice cream for Brylie.
 John and Ally enjoying the excuse for ice cream in New Jersey.






No comments: