September 6, 2010

Labor Day

After timing my contractions which started at about 4:30 pm Sunday until 4:30 am Monday morning we decided it was time to head to the hospital.

When we arrived at the hospital we were sent to an exam room.  Not knowing exactly what to expect I didn't know if I was really in labor or if I was going to be sent home.  The nurse checked me and said I was dialated to a 3-4 and was going to be admitted to the hospital.  The anticipation of knowing that we would soon be meeting our baby was beyond exciting.  I started making phone calls at about 5:30 am informing family members that the baby was on her way.

We got moved into the room that would be the room I would deliver our baby.  The contractions were not too painful at this point.  I was under the impression that the delivery would go pretty quickly since I was already dilated, but boy was I wrong.  At around 10:30 my doctor came into to examine me and told me she was going to break my water.  It was after this that my contractions seemed to come on much stronger. I didn't last too long after this before I decided it was time for an epidural.  Then came the waiting.  The doctors and nurses would continue to tell us that it was only a matter of hours until the baby was to come.  We waited for the rest of Labor day- September 6th, but our little bundle of joy was not ready to make her entrance in to the world.

I was beyond touched by the number of family members and loved ones who came to the hospital awaiting her arrival.  The majority of them waited in the hospital for over 23 hours to see the newest member of our family.  It is such an incredible blessing to have such a huge support system, and to know that our baby is going to be so loved.

The beginning of my labor.
Nick and I in our hospital room waiting for baby.
   
Mom, Shel and I in the hospital room
My tearful conversation with my sister over Skype.  She was devastated that she was unable to be there, and had been crying since I told her the previous evening that I was having contractions.  It was so wonderful to be able to see her though over the computer, but so tough to see her in pain. I love my sister so very much.
Ally, John and I talking via Skype.
Dad and Ryan playing with their phones while in the hospital waiting room
Kathy, Mymouse and Austin
Shel, Mckenen and Brian
Brian and Mymouse taking a little rest after an already long day.  Mymouse has her thumb up letting you know that she is still awake.
My mom who was such an incredible help during labor and Aunt Kathy.  I am a lucky girl to have these two fabulous women in my life.
Austin, Ryan, Brian, and Mckenen laughing at funny videos on Youtube 
Amber and Aunt Kathy.  It is now evening time on September 6th.
Darryl with the group in the waiting room
Dad took this picture to motivate me.  I had told him that I wanted In-N-Out after I had the baby.
Ryan, Ally over Skype and Shel in the waiting room
Nick, Shel and Ryan in the hospital room
Enjoying my ice chips.  I was trying to imagine it was a cheeseburger, but it didn't work.
I am trying to focus through a contraction.  I am holding the Dumbo that Nick gave me on our first Christmas together.  It has given me a sense of security over the last almost 5 years. 
Nick was an incredible source of support.  His love, patience, and encouragement helped me through my labor. I am so lucky to have him as my husband and the father of our child.



No comments: